Thursday, March 25, 2010

Random Thoughts: Is it just me...?


Is it just me or have you noticed that the media refers to President Obama as "Mr. Obama" or just "Obama" or his full name, "Barack Obama"?

I don't remember the media referring to GW as "Mr. Bush" or "Bush" (stop giggling) as much. Can some think-tank conduct some kind of study to determine if my observation is fact? I just find it disrespectful addressing the President (whoever it may be at the time) by anything but his formal title.

Is it just me or do pregnant people and new mothers completely erase from their vocabulary normal measurements of time? One of my dear friends sent some gorgeous pictures of her growing belly and proclaimed "Can you believe I'm 33 and a half weeks already?!" I immediately furrowed my brow and thought...she's 11 months pregnant?! That can't be right. So off I went to my calculator and figured it out. Um, preggers people can you please just say you're 8 and a half months pregnant? Your non-preggers friends would appreciate it. Also, new mommies: After your kid turns 4 I think it's okay to stop calculating his/her age in months. Little Kev is 49 months! They grow so fast.

Is it just me or is it time to remove "Negro" from the race section on the Census form? I was startled when I saw "Black, African Am., or Negro" as the second choice after White.

Is it just me or have some recent reports of Toyotas going nuts sound mad suspect? Not one has been confirmed to be the car's fault, and all signs are pointing to human error. I have a sneaking suspicion that a few crappy drivers are using the recall to excuse said crappy driving. Case in point: I was in a large parking lot of a shopping center last night, stopped behind a car, as we were both making left turns to exit the lot. The car in front of me was not going more than five (5) miles per hour when she ran directly into the pole on the other side of the two way lane. She was going so slow I literally watched in slow motion as she busted the left headlight of her car into the pole.

As I witnessed the slow-mo crash, I asked aloud, "Is she going to keep going and roll into that pole?" Yup. Clearly no one was hurt, and when the woman pulled over to take a look at the damage she created I couldn't help but chuckle. She was older - around 60, so it's not like she was texting or updating her facebook page on her iphone that caused her to be distracted. At least I hope not. She was driving a luxury looking SUV. What brand? Toyota! Twenty bucks says she tells the dealer the car accelerated on its own.

Is it just me or has the downright f*ckery and tomfoolery going down in Congress gone way too far? All of this violence and upheaval...over making sure the citizens you supposedly represent don't die in the street after being kicked out of a hospital because they don't have health insurance. And I still do not get the rationale that we can't afford healthcare...but the war? Sure! More military spending! Um, shouldn't we be putting money behind programs that keep people alive?

Finally, is it just me or has Mother Nature been a straight up b*tch lately? I mean really. Enough with the devastating earthquakes and never-ending snow storms. (Side bar: we are expecting snow overnight in lovely pittsburgh. It's gonna be MF april next week! what in the ef.)

Meanwhile, I almost had a heart attack last week when I was sitting on my couch with Kingston watching something on Bravo when all of a sudden an extremely bright light flashed through the windows in the dining room. I jumped up and was terrified. Did some crazy neighbor just snap a picture of me?! The flash was so bright! Then I heard it. Thunder! That flash was lightning. I felt like a narcissistic fool (ain't nobody tryna take a picture of me in my yoga gear sipping a cosmo), Kingston rolled his eyes, and went back to sleep.

Thanks for letting me vent...my random thoughts.

Smooches!

KB

3 comments:

Kristin Renee said...

LMAO!!! Okay, TOTALLY agree on the whole Mr.Obama thing... its PRESIDENT OBAMA, damned racist motha(bleeep). Yo, that seriously gets me heated. I noticed that a while ago too, glad to see I'm not the only one who noticed that...
Word on the weather, this ish is kinda crazy. Earth of its axis; which I totally called out a while back by the way, I KNEW the globe was spinning faster!! And apparently there are paparazzi in PGH so you can never be too sure... mmm hmmm. WORK!

:) Glittah.

KelleBelle said...

Glittah! I'm so glad you noticed that too. I was beginning to think I was being hyper-sensitive. Glad to see I'm not. I'd still like that think-tank study to go down as further proof.

Paps in Pgh?! Not that I go anywhere without my face on...but still. :)

Xoxo,
Glam

Baroness Buttercup said...

See!? It's not just my white-guilt (which I developed when my "One Planet, One People" parents bought me an African-American baby doll -- technically, she was actually Jamaican and since it was 1971, she was also Black; but to get back to my original tangent -- and my uncle asked if I was going to name her Hershey or Aunt Jemima and I just burst into tears when I should have gone all kindergarten ninja and schooled his hater ass) making me paranoid. What are they? Like Fonzie? He couldn't say, "I was wrong" and they can't the word "President" immediately before "Obama"? They need to man the hell up and own their inner-racist and stop with the passive-aggressive "Mr." bullshit!

*sigh* This has stirred up all my guilt again. I need to go get Svetlana (yes, I still have her) out of the attic and apologize again for not defending her that day. She always says she forgives me, I guess I just can't forgive myself . . .