Wednesday, May 6, 2009

The Newest Desperate Housewife


What would you do if you suddenly found yourself without a job?

Unfortunately, I know more than a handful of people that have had to face this dilemma recently.

I also know a few employed people that have told me they "want" to be laid off. I tell them to be careful what you wish for...but I understand where they are coming from...kind of.

If I didn't have so much in school loans to pay each month I suppose I'd fantasize about being carefree and jobless as well. Or not...actually when I was in between jobs last year and was finished studying and taking the CA bar exam, I felt somewhat lost and unhappy. Besides looking for jobs and interviewing, I really didn't do as many things that I always thought I'd do if I wasn't working:

I didn't read the umpteen books I had been planning on reading since the summer after college graduation.

I didn't go to all of the museums and galleries I always said I would like to go to.

I did volunteer quite a bit, but not as much as I intended.

I went to the gym a lot, but I didn't get a six pack that I told myself I'd shoot for if I had the time to spend to get it.

I got a tan - but that was just because of the circumstances of my unemployment: I was living at home...four blocks from the beach in LA. Had I been in the same situation in Philly, I highly doubt I would have met that goal.

I didn't hit happy hour on the regular...because everyone else was working! Sipping $4 margaritas solo at El Torito at 3pm on a Tuesday is not the business.

Another goal I had while unemployed was to sleep - a lot. Why did I not reach this goal you ask? Two words: Kingston and Chester. Those little bastards had me up at 6am everyday ready to be taken on their walks.

My biggest goal was to do some serious internal self-reflection on how I can be a better KB. This is a work in progress but I made a lot of headway in my down time.

What would you do if you suddenly didn't have to schlep to your 9-5 everyday?

1 comment:

saratu said...

Start my own business! I'd be printing business cards and calling up investors all day long!