Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Do Opposites Really Attract?


It's getting a bit too heavy in here, no? So let's lighten up the joint a bit.

I've been having some great convos with my main b's lately about "soul mates", monogamy, dating, marriage, yada yada yada. After all of these great convos I'm always left wondering why I never seem to find anyone I really vibe with. I mean, legitimately vibe with. Not a fleeting flirty fling. Then I went through my mental rolodex of gents that I legitimately vibe on the platonic tip with but never consider as a possible romantic suitor because there is something that is just too big to get over. A deal-breaker, if you will.

One of my main b's asked me if perhaps I should re-evaluate deal-breakers and see if they truly are obstacles that I can't get over, or if I just need to get over myself. In typical KB style, I've compiled a list of potential deal-breakers that may prevent a pair to go from friends to something more.

1. Religion.

I'm not talking about the "I have a cross tattooed on my right bicep underneath the penn state mascot" kind of religion. I mean, pray before each meal, in church/temple/mosque every week, and can recite passages from their religious text of choice on a dime, kind of religion.

I'm definitely not against anyone with the above characteristics. However, what I have found is that for the most part, people that share these attributes usually follow a lifestyle that is not compatible with mine.

First of all, I like my weekends. To sleep in, to watch cartoons, to work out, whatever. I don't like having anything on my plate that I have to commit to on a weekly basis.

Second, I have found that those who are religious (not just spiritual - but truly denominational) usually have a tinge of the judgy-wudgy-was-a-bear in them. Or more than a tinge and straight up judge folks.

Third, I think I simply swear and drink too much to be with anyone that religious. I'm a card carrying heathen but at the end of the day I try to be generous, thoughtful, and non-judgmental. And I pray, just not sure to who (or is it whom?).

2. Sobriety

This is a biggie for me. Probably even more so than religion. (Now THAT is some heathenry right there.) I can definitely date someone who doesn't drink. But I'd have to date them only during daytime hours (and not during football season) because I feel completely uncomfortable drinking around sober people. I suppose it's a control issue: if I'm not completely in control of my motor skills, you shouldn't be either.

I try not to look down at drunk folks when I am sober, but it's hard not to laugh when you see someone slurring their words and swaying like a tree, yet denying they're drunk as a skunk. But the thing is at least I've been there so I'm not judging them. Because I get it. But if I had never been three sheets to the wind, I'd likely look down on them and shake my head in judgment.

A friend of mine suggested that I stop drinking and then I'd get rid of that deal-breaker. Instead, I got rid of that friend and their nonsense talking.

3. Ethnicity/Race

Chile, we talk about this one too much already on this show so I won't go too much into it. As a mixy myself I've seen the drawbacks to the swirl situation. Example A: I have no relationship at all with the kosher vanilla side of my ancestry. But honestly at the end of the day, and I know this sounds completely corny, I really think love will conquer all. I mean, real -mary j. blige kind of- love. Not infatuation, settling/complacency, or lust. If I actually vibed with someone hard core, I wouldn't care if they were turquoise with pink polka dots. Just don't put your hand in my hair and keep me laughing and my cocoa butter supply stocked.

4. Fitness/Nutrition

Can a gym rat and a couch potato really stay together til the end? I'm not sure about this one. Sharing a healthy, active lifestyle in common can really bring a couple together. I love exercising with my beau when I have one. There's nothing like jogging together or playing basketball and working up a sweat with your amore that strengthens a bond.

Also, the level of activity can be a reflection of one's priorities. And hey, if they have other priorities (an extremely demanding job/a dependant/an old injury/etc) that come before their physical fitness, I understand, but I know -for me- how I treat my body is a pretty good indicator of how I'm treating myself on the inside.

Then again, some folks don't use ben&jerry's as their coping mechanism so obviously there are other indicators of one's self worth/mental health status than their physical fitness. I know more than a few gorgeous, fit folks who are an emotional mess and treat their bodies like hell.

5. Money/Education

I'm combining these two because they're often interrelated. Can a park avenue diva stay true to a broke brotha who's 35 and still working on his "album"? That's a toughie. I know recently I've heard of how the economic crisis has torn couples apart, or at the very least have put a strain on their relationship. But on the outset, does money really matter? I think earning potential at the outset is more important than what you actually have in the bank at that moment. It also depends on what kind of lifestyle each party is striving for.

I have no problem dating a grad student, a self-taught entrepreneur who's saving up to start their own business, a teacher, a community activist, etc. But if you're knocking on 40, still chasing an unrealistic dream (dude, the cook-your-own-pizza-in-an-oven shop is not gonna happen), living beyond your meager means, and are living in student housing in betwixt couch surfing? Um, I gotta say the magic 8 ball is not looking so good.

Meanwhile, watch I marry up a sober greek orthodox muslim morbidly obese aspiring juggler who still lives at home.

Smooches,

KelleBelle

4 comments:

kapspecial@gmail.com said...

Chile, I used to have a list as long as I-90 about what was and was not required in a potential mate. My list has now come to three core things: 1) like me; 2) get my sitcom humor; and 3) be (and stay) gainfully employed. Now it would be helpful if the dude has at least heard of Jesus and His crew!!! ;)

Eve said...

Maybe I just have good women in my life, but I really haven't thought any of my friend's lists are unrealistic. Including yours, which is really about the things people value and hey different strokes for different folks. Why can't you have an agnostic, athletic, drinker who has a good job? We all have lists and I mean contrary to media and public opinion this includes men. In fact I think they are the pickier of the sexes. I mean they are the ones usually making decisions re exclusivity and who they choose to be with and believe me it aint any ole gal who walks across the street (at least for more than a physical encounter). And really, that's how it should be. Should the person you plan to settle your life with - create children and share finances with - just be any old thing. People always talking about how everybody got married in the old days without all these lists but what history are folks reading? Cause arranged marriages usually relied on wealth, education, race, status, religion and looks (for the women primarily).

KelleBelle said...

Yes!! An agnostic, athletic, drinker with a good job. Where is he?! I bet somewhere in the UK (or so I've been told).

Great points K & D.

I definitely have a list longer than yours Kim, but getting my sitcom humor is most def on there. Considering at least 1/2 of my culture references and/or jokes are from TV, I cringe when I hear a potential suitor utter the fateful words: "I don't watch [or own a] TV." Definitely a deal breaker. They can be a sauced up wealthy fitness model heathen. No TV, no dice.

I also find folks who are on the "I don't watch TV" steeze are often judgmental of those who do. I don't judge people who don't watch TV, I just know they ain't gettin' nan of my jokes.

Kristin Renee said...

oooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Love it. totally agree Kells. We are not crazy. Well, I might be a little obsessive but I'm working on it, lol. No seriously, slam! on a few of those mentions, lmao, ahhh. This is becoming one of my fav reads. In terms of locations, seems like no matter where you go you run into the same type of guys with different names... buuut... I believe that there are still good men out there although, I'm slowing losing hope for our generation of "gentleman", I have faith that in 30 years we won't have 17 cats and 6 dogs between the two of us.