Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Are you a FWD whore?

Do you have a friend/relative/associate that sends you countless FWD: FW: FW: messages that flood your inbox on the daily? Lord knows I do. The two main culprits are usually my mother and my god mother. I mean really, how many times do I need to see the lil boy pat Obama on the head in the Oval office? I get it. It's cute. Historic. Stop forwarding it please! Thanks.

Anywhether, a friend of mine sent our squad a message yesterday bringing our attneiton to her own FWD nightmare:

"Ok. I'm NOT fowarding this to you as a forward. I'm sending this because my dear friend, Daniella, sends me fwds REPEATEDLY. I get an avg of 5 a day from her...and that's an average. it's not the mere act of fwding that bothers me its that she sends them indiscriminately. no thought is put into whether i would be interested in seeing this or whether its likely that i saw it already. i will send fwds every now and then but i try to keep in mind that most people prolly don't want to be baraged by them.

I had another friend who would do this and i just ended up sending her emails automatically to my spam folder. I don't want to say anything to her because it may seem a bit stuck up, esp. b/c this is one of my pre-law school friends but DAMN! i hate getting these. and every now and then she'll send me an email directed to me and sometimes I don't see them because they are in my spam folder.

anyway, are you ladies similarly perturbed by these or should i just get over it?"


KB's note: for the record, this forward in particular was WILDLY INAPPROPRIATE. Nudity and a bit of racism all in one!

I responded to my friend's request for advice as follows:

Dude. This one of my biggest pet peeves. My god mother used to send me fwds non-stop, once 10 fwds in a two day period. I asked my mom how to politely ask my god mom to stop the forward madness. I, like you, didn't want to put her off, or send her to spam hell, because she does send actual emails with original content on occassion. Mom duke's solution? Lie!

I told my god mother my inbox was simply too full and I was getting warnings that my storage was about to exceed the limit. So please, no more forwards because they often contain large files attached/included with them.

Haven't received a forwarded "use this coupon today to get a free whopper at wendys!" or bible-esque cartoons (that are usually quite offensive/blasphemous in my heathen opinion) since!

K

Ps: this fwd is wildly inappropriate!!! And not that clever. Odd what folks forward. You think your girl even scans the email before forwarding?
_____________

My friends agreed that the little white lie will avoid the need for an awkward confrontation about the fwd insanity.

How would you deter a FWD whore? Are you a FWD whore yourself? Should I stop saying whore so much?

Smooches!

KB

2 comments:

Andrew said...

1. I would be honest if I wanted someone to stop sending me forwards.

2. I don't forward very much. If something is really cool I typically forward to just a few people.

3. No, don't stop saying whore, you whore! I love the word whore!!!! :-)

KelleBelle said...

1. I agree, somewhat. Sometimes the little white lies avoid hurting someone's feelings (like my god mother - she would have cussed me to high heavens if I told her to stop with the FWDs).

2. Samesies.

3. Hahaha! I think I just used "whore" in an email to you! lol.