Friday, January 2, 2009

New Year's Revolution


Happy New Year Kids!

I don't know about y'all, but I am so excited to be done with 2008 and am ready to be fine as wine in 2009. Holidays, schmolidays. I didn't go home to Cali to spend Xmas / Channukah / Kwanzaa / Festivus with the fam - a mistake I shant ever make again - and I had the displeasure of counting down to the new year at a club in Seattle so corny it made an MTV dance battle movie seem cool.

Anywhether, here at the Jake and Kelly Show, we never let our surroundings get us down - we Tim Gunn it and make it work, in any situation. So that is what I'm doing today. I've never been a huge fan of New Year's Resolutions, so I'm instituting a Revolution. I'm revolutionizing 2009 by revolting against the status quo and making these anti-resolutions:

1. I'm cancelling my Facebook and Myspace accounts. I've complained about these sites for some time, and I really do not find them useful or positive tools in my life. So I'm out. Besides, I miss my anonymity. If we are friends, you will still see pictures of me at various events, and get updates on big moves I make...that is if we are real life friends. And if we aren't, then you probably won't miss me on Facebook anyway.

Update: I am so happy that I have cancelled my accounts! I feel free and rid of high school esque nosiness and fuckery. And I doubly love all of the uproar that it has caused. I have received numerous inquiries via text regarding my sudden absence from those sites. Feels good to be missed! You can read about my latest love affairs and fashion choices in US Weekly.

Jake - I hear you about your Frienemies distaste. Part of the reason for me deleting my accounts was to cut off ties to a few...and a few friends of frienemies. Nahmean?

2. I'm going back on Caffeine! How I've missed my daily jolt. I gave it up about three weeks ago in an effort to help with my long-time battle with insomnia. But after an 8 day long withdrawal headache, I realized I like caffeine, a lot. I was able to fall asleep easier than when I consumed caffeine, but the pros didn't outweigh the cons. First of all, I had less energy at the gym and I began to yawn midday at the office - something I never do when I'm on the good stuff, even if I am on 3 hours of sleep. My mood didn't change too much but I definitely know I am much happier when I am hyped up on a cup of caffeinated coffee or tea. Finally, I think caffeine makes me a better person, and by better I mean thinner. Long live legalized drugs. Yay!

3. I am going to spend more money. Yup, you heard me right. Recession schmecession. I'm going to make smart, informed, high quality purchases. I will buy less clothes/accessories at traditional retailers, but more higher end, classic pieces. I went to a designer outlet spot north of seattle, and after mulling over a few purchases for hours to make sure I wouldn't have buyer's remorse, I came away with quality purchases that will be in my closest, on my wrist, and on my feet for years to come. Also, instead of spending a wad of dough at a snooze club in Seattle in an effort to be social, I'm going to keep it in the crib and instead schedule frequent weekend trips to more KB-style locales: NYC, Philly, LA, and Dubai (I'll see you soon Nak!). I don't have to pay for lodging in any of these places, so why don't I fly there more often?

4. I am going to spend more time at the office. I already see my co-workers more than my friends, but I love my job! I laugh and feel good at work. The people I work with are great folks, and the work we do is valuable and fulfilling. My mother frequently scolds me for working late hours but I don't see what's the problem. I've prayed for a job that I love and I've got it. Bonus: my office is very dog friendly, so once Kingston makes his move up north, I never have to leave my office. Hooray!

5. I'm going to watch more TV. I have an enormous flat screen in my gorgeous living room that I currently spend a lot of quality time with, but not enough. Immediately after publishing this post I'm calling Comcast (I called yesterday but they were closed for the holiday. Boo.) to order up every extra channel they have. Currently I only have the basic cable channels, and considering I rarely watch anything besides Bravo, NBC, and TLC, I haven't missed out on much, except for HBO. So I'm ordering up every HBO channel they have, in addition to other premium channels that I used to enjoy: Showtime (I miss Weeds!) and Cinemax (solely for quality after-dark programming).

I'm pretty sure I'll be able to stick to the above goals. And what about your resolutions/revolutions? Do tell.

Smooches!

KB

2 comments:

Jake A. McKenzie said...

Umm, I quit myspace and facebook once. It didn't last very long. Good luck KB!!

Anonymous said...

I understand the facebook/myspace point, as you know I don't check either too much. But one note, it is nice to get a random add request from one of the few folks I truly enjoy from my past.

Smart quality clothes for a young professional is the way to go I think. Nice.

But I must say I don't understand the resolution to watch more TV. What's the rationale? I'll have to inquire next time we speak.

Luv ya,
the sibling