Saturday, March 1, 2008

I'm Not Racist, My President's Black!

It seems that everyone is on the Barack train these days. And I mean everyone. From obvious supporters (hip liberals and all black people) to surprising backers (Maria Shriver has some cojones!), Barack is definitely winning the popularity contest thus far. And in Carrie Bradshaw fashion, I had to wonder: will Barack's campaign really change the way black people are regarded?

I posed the question to my main b's from law school, which I've posted below along with a fiery response. Join in on the discussion!

KB: "Do you guys think Barack's campaign (and hopefully his election) will really affect how white people regard black people? I mean, on a deeper level. Or is he just gonna be the political equivalent of 'I'm not racist...my best friend is black' whereas the best friend is now the president. I can see the LAPD now...'I didn't unjustly beat those kids with my night stick because they were black...I voted for Barack!'"

Harvard Honey: "Hell to the Naw. Not on any level, whether deep, surface or whatever. Why? Because the unspoken and unacknowledged and subconscious (and racist) assumption underlying white folk's support of Barack is that he is not black. He's transcended race. He's transcended race. He's beyond race. And if they do view him as black, he's different. He's not as black as Sharpton or Jesse. He's 'clean' and 'articulate.' So it's not going to change how they view blacks because he's just in another category from the rest of the lazy shiftless negroes."

2 comments:

ECW said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ECW said...

Obama is a fraud. Yes, I said it and there are lots of reasons I feel that way, but the primary one is this: the basic premise of Senator Obama's campaign is an illusion.

In his speech on race, Obama spoke of Black anger and white resentment. He denounced a corporate culture of "short-term greed; a Washington dominated by lobbyists and special interests; economic policies that favor the few over the many." Similarly, on the campaign trail, argued that Washington is broken and unresponsive. And while he modestly acknowledged that his candidacy won't change everything, his supporters clearly disagree.
The problem is that while Washington maybe be creaky, it isn’t broken.

Washington looks after those who educate themselves on the issues, vote their interests, give money to candidates who support those interests, stay abreast of developments and raise hell when their interests are ignored. Folks who don’t know the issues, don’t vote, don’t give money, don’t pay attention between elections, and support candidates based on peripheral issues find themselves voicelss. I don’t want the next President to change that system — It’s called democracy.

Obama’s mantra of change resonates most with people who want a savior so they can put their head in the sand for the next four years. They haven’t figured out that democracy is a process, not an event. I’m as happy as anyone to see the millions of new voters in the primaries, most of them inspired by Senator Obama. But I can’t help but ask, “Where were you in 2000 and 2004?” Feel free to celebrate Senator Obama as a politician who cares, but remember, there have been others — and you, the electorate, got distracted by gay rights, flag burning, Swift boats, and who you’d like to have a beer with. If you live in a trailer but you voted for Bush - or didn’t vote at all - you deserved the past 7 1/2 years. How can so many say the government is broken when they’ve never tried to use it. And trust me, if the average joe doesn’t use it, someone else will.

Every issue that is important to the average person is also important to some organized, well-funded and committed group on the other side. Insurance companies, pharmaceutical companies, polluters, etc., won’t be go away regardless of who wins the election. They are going to keep giving money, keep putting out propaganda. They will stay vigilant about what matters to them. And in six months, after most of the new voters lose interest, Obama will be left out there alone, wondering what happened to his adoring fans.

I will admit that after two decades of working campaigns I could just be bitter. Years of watching good candidates lose to divisive charlatans has a way of numbing you to the post-election complaints of those who put them in office. I do find myself wondering how much effort I’m supposed to put into convincing drowning man to swim toward shore. However, I’m not so cynical as to be blind to Senator Obama’s remarkable ability to motivate people and get them thinking. If democracy is going to flourish in this country, men like Senator Obama are essential. But one thing I do know is that sending him to Washington won’t fix this country, because that’s not where its broken. And listening to the Obama campaign say otherwise is driving me crazy.