Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The Freshest Black Girl of them All

No, not me. I'm still working on my fierceness game.

Michelle Obama! I have been a fan of 'Chelle since I first became aware of her stature (Glamazons unite!) but I have been paying close attention to her as of late, especially leading up to her phenomenal appearance on The View last week. In KB fashion, I've compiled a list of reasons why I'm such a fan of Mrs. Obama:

6. She's tall! 5'11 to be exact. I've been around 5'9 since age 10 and it ain't easy. You either own it or you crumble under the constant ridicule as an adolescent and societal pressure to be petite. Clearly, M.O. owns her statuesque frame.

Not only does that say something about her - she's fierce just because she's tall in my book - it says something about Barack! It takes a strong, confident man (especially a brotha) to be with a tall woman. I'm sure 'Chellie towers over B when she rocks a pair of (size 11) stilletos and yet, he still married her up and beams like a high yellow lightbulb when he's with her. It shows that he is secure, confident, and fresh in his own right (all qualities that KB looks for in a man...hint hint!).

5. She's a double Ivy yet I don't get that stuck up, snobby vibe that sometimes goes along with such a distinction. (Sorry, it's true!) She knows she's the shizz (or the bee's knees as my mom - the freshest black girl in my world - puts it) but doesn't appear to have let it get to her head. I'm sure she has a lil Whitley Gilbert in her (it's hard not to if you attend these schools - KB herself is not immune to it) but I have a feeling that deep down, she's truly a dope fly girl from around the way and doesn't look down on anyone.
4. She's effortlessly fab. Who else gets compared to Jackie O? I mean really. Not even Vicky B, J.Lo, Bey, Katie H., or any other fashionista that tries their hardest to resemble JKO gets that acknowledgment. Those other b's should take a note from M.O.'s book and try being humble, elegant, and down to earth, for a change.

3. She is unapologetic. Try to catch my girl backtracking on anything she has said or done in the past. Nope. Now, she may explain certain things that were blown out of proportion (that never happens, right?) just for clarity but she leaves it up to the audience to decide for themselves if they approve or disapprove of said statement or action.

2. She is a phenomenal hater-shaker. Even that supposed critical NY Times story on M.O.'s attempt to "clean up her harsh image" was pretty weak! Why? Cuz they ain't got nothin' on her.

1. She's not just the freshest black girl on the block, she's the fiercest woman on the scene. Bump Hilary, Mrs. McCain (something in the milk ain't clean with that woman...don't stare at the pic above too long, lest you'll turn into ice), even Condi.

Michelle's grace, intellect, class, and strength is just what that White House desperately needs! Those house attendants will just have to get used to the smell of Lusters Pink Oil and hot combs on full heat. :)

Michelle has made me proud to be a fierce black girl in my own right. No longer will I push my 4 inch stilletos aside, fearful that I'll tower over the majority of the male population, and be relegated to dance with my own shadow in the corner. Nor will I lie to a gentleman caller who inquires as to what I do or where I went to school, in an attempt to not intimidate him or bruise his fragile ego.

I have faith that there are strong men out there who will love me and my sharp tongue and above-average height. Settling is for dust. Not this chick. Finally, I will make no apologies for anything I have said or done in my past (okay, maybe a few things...). I will continue to work on myself as I grow and learn from my mistakes. I will love and approve of myself, no matter what!

Fresh black (white, puertorican, or haitian) girls (and boys), stand up!

2 comments:

Thembi Ford said...

Yes! Nice job mentioning how Barack beams with her; she's hot that power.

And also, this is how a real black woman rocks a perm. Condi take note and shape up.

Tracy said...

Absolutely! I totally have a heterosexual girl crush of Chelley. I have an standing application to be her assistant's assistant assistant; her protege's protege; her babysitter's social coordinator; lol. For real though I'm def. on Team Chelley.