Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Black Friendly White Boys: Yay or Nay?

One of my best friends from Philly sent me a link to an article about the Valedictorian of Morehouse. Why all the hub bub? Homey is white!

I meant to post about it earlier but I wasn't able to get to it until today...and lo and behold another black friendly white man emerged onto the scene: John Edwards! I always liked him. I mean, what's not to like? He has great hair and amazing teeth. And really, that's all I need to like someone.

But back to the Morehouse story. My friend who sent the link (let's call him "Phil") is a graduate of Morehouse and although quite white-friendly himself, definitely went to Morehouse for the black college experience, which he definitely got. He told me he didn't know how he felt about Morehouse having a white valedictorian. I for one think it's a good thing (don't like it Morehouse bros? Step your game up and don't let it happen again!), but I think it really has to do with said valedictorian's background: his step-father was black and he has mixed step-siblings. This isn't a bamboozled sort of situation as I posted about here: http://jakeandkelly.blogspot.com/2007/10/bamboozled.html

Peep the article about the white Morehouse grad and let us know what you think. http://www.ajc.com/news/content/metro/atlanta/stories/2008/05/11/morehouseman_0512.html?cxntlid=homepage_tab_newstab

Now, moving on to Mr. Edwards endorsing Obama...one word: YUM! Can you imagine an Obama/Edwards ticket? Yum to the Yum! They'd tots get the woman/gay vote...and that's like 70% of the popular vote, no? Okay, obvs I'm not going to list the political reasons why I am behind Obama and Edwards but you can infer them on your own. After all, this is an entertainment, gossip, and fuckery blog. Hil-Bil may have gotten the incest vote in W.VA but Obama securing Edwards' support totally overshadowed any lil delegates she got. Snap!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a product of an HBCU, i think the black men of Morehouse c/o 2008 should be ashamed. While HBCU's are welcoming institutions to all races and thus members of other races are accepted by the campus community, the black students should be highly motivated to excel above their non-black collegues. Not only does the title valedictorian come with the distinction of having excelled over everyone in the class, but valedictorians are permitted to give a speech at graduation. Should I be a parent having paid my hard earned money to send my child to an HBCU and having come to see my child graduate only to have to sit and watch a member of another race receive the privilege of being THE student body voice during the ceremony, I should surely give my child an earful about how disappointed I am not only at my own child but at the entire class of students graduating that year.

Tracy said...

I totally agree with anonymous. When "Phil" send me the link to the article, I couldn't even finish it. I was so appalled. The article heralds this kid at a would-be Harvard, Yale, or Stanford candidate who decided to forgo those schools for Morehouse. As if his collegiate career was some kind of charity. I mean they make it sound like he was in the Peace Corps stationed in East Africa for four years.

There are plenty of black men at Morehouse who were candidates at Ivies but chose Morehouse instead, so how could let this dude outshine them?

And here's the rub, there was one black kid quoted in the article as saying dude inspired him to attend MOREHOUSE. Saying "if it's good enough for a white kid it's good enough for me." Now if that ain't a giant leap backward?

Anonymous said...

Its a tough one. One of my boys was saying he was just a super qualified dude who actually provided some interesting insights to men on campus. I think the reason people immidiately react so harshly is because that article is on his dick pretty hard. But, I do question his motivations cause it mentions him having dated black women since 16...lol. He ws just trying to rub on a fat booty son! I can't really hate him for that...But it says he gave up columbia too; that takes big balls or a chip on the shoulder or something...to go to an all black school.

All I'm saying is however many As he got on his tests I would have been busting my ass to do a little better(maybe..lol). I know whoever the number 2 dude is in the class is mad tired and salty about not beating that dude...but he seems obviously qualified.

Hopefully it won't become a trend.

Julian said...

Step it up black men. That's all there is to it. Quit your whining.

Thembi Ford said...

a- Why does his name have to be Josh?

b - The thing is, whitedude turned down Colombia and mad debt to go be VALEDICTORIAN at an HBCU, not to just GO to an HBCU. There's a big difference, because when you graduate the top students at HBCUs are competiting for the same grad school and job slots as kids from ivies including his gig at Goldman. I'd like to meet the HBCU person who turned down an ivy only to be a B or C student at an HBCU. Oh wait, they don't exist...actually yest they do, cuz I know one, and his parents made him go cuz he was an HBCU legacy (and C student all the way). I'm not saying anything bad about HBCU's here but Harvard just may have chewed him up.

c- I rep my ivy hard and no one was "valedictorian" cuz everyone was an overachiever to the point where a B- equaled failure. At Columbia he would have just been one person in a bevy of overachievers with nothing much to distinguish himself from the next dude on paper.

d- I'd definitely hit.

Julian said...

Yeah... he might be the closest I get to marrying a black man.

Don't quote me on that....


doh... it's posted.

Thembi Ford said...

Kelle, we all know it has taken way less than that...

KelleBelle said...

Lmao @ Julian!

Do you realize he has game for life? He could be a 70-year-old shriveled gross bastard CEO and still be able to mack to young jawns. "Yeah, I went to Morehouse...and was Valedictorian."

Panties...dropped. All ages/races (of the chickenhead variety. No self-respecting educated black woman would fall for that. I hope!).

Now, excuse me as I add homey on Facebook.