Thursday, July 24, 2008

Shallow thoughts with KelleBelle


Do I even need to write an introductory paragraph?

Some thoughts...

Lime is the new Cherry

Think about it: Coke with Lime, Beer with Lime, Lime Doritos (not that there was ever cherry doritos, but still).

I predict coconut to be the next fruit essence du jour. Pomegranate got too cocky and hasn't captured mainstream appeal as of yet.

What else is "new"?

Illegitimate is the new Legitimate

At least in Hollywood. Name the last kid who was conceived by legally married parents? Not that there's anything wrong with it. My father's illegitimate.

Straight is the new Gay

Manscaping is commonplace for straight men; and we've done away with the whole "metrosexual" label. Chicks are making hit records about kissing other ladies, and everyone under the sun can marry whomever they choose in Cali. Sidenote: while at Outfest this year, I was tempted to hide my straightness in an effort to be a part of the cool kids. When asked if I was "family" I hung my head in shame and said, "no. I'm straight" accompanied by a heavy sigh. Straight is so boring these days.

Dulce de leche is the new cookie dough

Remember when cookie dough ice cream first jumped off? As a former fat kid, you bet your bottom dollar I remember the launch of that flavor quite vividly. Recently, dulce de leche has been the new hotness. It's yummers, but has yet to catch on quite like cd.

Black is the new...Black

...according to Italian Vogue. The July edition tells us nothing new - black beauty is where it's at! Peep the models on Project Runway that always make the biggest impact. They're invariably various shades of brown. Don't even make me refer you to Christian's winning collection. Only fierce brown and black models could do those clothes justice.

Reality is the new fantasy

And not just on television. Have you noticed that regular folks are starting to drink their own koolaid? I blame it on reality tv stars, the blogosphere, and social networking sites a la facebook and myspace. Folks create this entire new (and usually improved) persona of themselves and start to believe their own hype. Look, I only post flattering pics of myself, but trust, I know I am no Liya or Naomi. And just because you write a few witty posts about pop-culture, does not a celebrity make.*

Smirnoff Ice is the new Zima

...and they're both just the new wine coolers. I was too young to really know about Zima during it's peak popularity. But word on the street is it tastes just like smirnoff ice, but with an added air of corny-ness. Not sure why.

And last, but certainly not least:

The Obamas are the new Kennedys!


Okay kids, that's it for me. Thanks for indulging my random (somewhat) shallow thoughts.

Next time you're at the club ask the bartender for a Zima, with lime! ;)

Smooches,

KB

*Jake and I ran into a semi-well known blogger in LA and homey had the nerve to have an entourage! B please.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I miss you Kel, thanks for lightening my day. Marsha

Tracy said...

KELLY!!! I miss you holmes!

Black is indeed the new black;
and dulce de leche is indeed the new cookie dough; and the Obama's are indeed the new Kennedy's. Anyone else see a patten?

Black . . . Latin . . .Black . .

coincidence? I think not ;)